Asian noodles with Ontario asparagusby The Ontario Produce Marketing Association | 140 days ago | 5956 page views
Channels: Food, The Ontario Produce Marketing Association, Dinner Is Served
Look for egg steamed noodles (chow mein) in sealed vacuum packaging in the refrigerated produce section. Packages may vary in size.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Asian chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- Half a bunch Ontario asparagus (8 oz/250 g), trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- ½ Ontario Greenhouse sweet red pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 Ontario carrots, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 400g package thin steamed egg noodles (chow mein)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh coriander leaves
1. Place chicken in a medium bowl.
2. Stir together soy and chili garlic sauces, rice vinegar and ginger. Pour half over chicken and toss to coat well. Reserve remaining mixture.
3. The easiest way to prepare the noodles is to boil a kettle of water. Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cut noodles with scissors to make them easier to toss and eat. When water boils, pour over noodles and let stand until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well. Return to large bowl.
4. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium-high heat. Add marinated chicken and stir-fry until chicken is cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl.
5. Return skillet to medium heat, add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Add asparagus, red pepper and carrots. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) water and cook until tender-crisp, another 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved soy and chili garlic sauce mixture, and chicken. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Pour over noodles, add green onions and coriander and toss well.
Tip: Substitute 6 oz (175 g) thin dry spaghetti noodles, cooked until tender, for the steamed egg noodles.
Nutrients per serving: 541 calories, 12 g total fat, 707 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrates, 8 g fibre, 38 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A, niacin, folate, vitamin C, magnesium, iron and zinc.